If Windows managed to store the previous driver on your system then you will also get the option to roll back your driver. However, if this is not the case then you will need to uninstall the installed driver and then install a previous version.
In the early days of programming, device drivers would often be written using assembly language, a low-level language that can access hardware and CPU instructions immediately and directly. As discussed in the article above, if the driver version isn’t supported, or the antivirus is interfering with the installation, you won’t be able to install the Game Ready Drivers. In such cases, you can temporarily disable the antivirus, then either manually download and install the driver, or perform a clean install via the GeForce Experience app.
How to Update Your Computer’s Drivers
Updating the drivers for your optical drive (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD) may improve its performance. We recommend you visit our CD drivers page for a listing of manufacturers and their driver update pages to obtain the latest drivers. If you already have the manufacturer’s driver software installed, you may be able to update your drivers from Windows. Open your system tray in the right-hand corner of Windows’ taskbar, right-click on the icon for the software in question, and open its main settings window. In general, you shouldn’t need to update your drivers very often.
- Updating the drivers for your optical drive (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD) may improve its performance.
- On Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, hardware drivers appear in the Windows Update interface as an optional update.
- Drivers are programs that contain sets of instructions that tell the operating system how best to operate or ‘drive’ a certain piece of hardware.
- Then a CD or a flash drive that comes with hardware suddenly becomes relevant again.
- I found a newer version of the driver on the notebook vendor’s site.
Here’s how you can do that, depending on the brand of your graphics card. Generally speaking, your PC can have either integrated, discrete graphics, or both. Integrated graphics is where the GPU is part of the CPU package, and it doesn’t use separate memory for graphics or video. Discrete graphics is a GPU that’s separate from the main processor and has its own dedicated memory.
PC HelpSoft Driver Updater
On older hardware, though, the initial scan can take several minutes, but that’s to be expected and your mileage will vary. If there is a driver to be updated, just click the update button and sit back while the update is installed. Then follow the wizard and Windows will try to find an updated driver. Updating hardware drivers on your Windows computer is an important part of PC maintenance, but few of us do it regularly.
- Our articles have been read over 275 million times since we launched in 2007.
- Another best free driver updater for Windows 11 is PC HelpSoft Driver Updater.
- This is usually because either the installer doesn’t have a “digital signature” recognized by Microsoft, or it may not include keywords such as setup, install, or update.
- The browser version you are using is not recommended for this site.Please consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser by clicking one of the following links.
- All the driver updaters we reviewed are safe to download and use; however, you should still exercise caution when using them.
- Intel’s products and software are intended only to be used in applications that do not cause or contribute to a violation of an internationally recognized human right.